Hard not to feel proud about this one. A modular design built from 6 panels of 2″ acoustic foam used about as completely as possible… and all storable in the box it came in.
I started with an Instrucables project as a guide:
From that basic idea, I made this… a few tweaks left to do, but generally there.
Fully-covered interior space is 22″ high, 17″ deep, with a 9″ back wall, and front opening of 24″. There is enough structural integrity to it that you can let the front 6 inches hang off the front edge of the table, providing foam baffling to the left & right of you.
When disassembled it looks like this…
… and yet still all so lovely fits back into the box it came in:
The foam is 2″ thick acoustic foam that came in 12″x 24″ sheets. Because I am not insane, I tried to use the material as-is with as little cutting as possible.
Because I needed a more all-purpose ambient-room-noise-killer, I made it large enough to contain the toy pianos.
After playing around with the foam for an evening and poking thru my collection of boxes in the basement, I decided that (a) the foam itself had enough structural integrity to stand with little assistance; and (b) the box the foam came in was exactly the size I was gonna need to support the panels, anyway. Certainly a “laziest man on the boat” moment. But brilliant, too.
Bottom panels, left & right, are glued to the interior of the box.
Since I am relying on the box-top flaps for structure, I added two 12″ vertical cardboard supports to the panels that would be sitting on top of the glued panels.
Back panel (not glued in) was cut to 9″ wide. It was either that or attempt miter-cutting foam. Again with the because I am not insane.
The remaining 3″ wide strip, angle-cut at the end to fit the opening, was used to extend the fully-covered space. As you can see, it wants to droop after a while. I have a number of options (including ‘live with it’) that I’m considering.
The main top piece I cut to the size of the interior space, and adhered to some sturdy cardboard with a 2-1/2″ overhang on either side. There is a back flap 12″ wide with some additional foam that extends down the back of the box about 2″. Two benefits –it adds additional weight to help keep the top piece aligned properly, and the additional foam compensates for the gaps left by ~not~ miter-cutting the foam.
Currently, the box is held closed with velcro, but I think I’m going to switch to buttons. Big coat buttons, anchored on the interior with flat button stays. Better to rely on the strength of the box itself than the inevitable detaching of the sticky-back from the box.